Friday, August 21, 2009

Be Yourself


Most anyone that knows me personally for the long haul is aware that my right knee is a painful issue related to a football injury in the mid eighties. I have a scar a foot long. I have had 5 surgeries since to correct the hatchet job done to fix me 25 years ago. Of all things, I just went to a Beverly Hills function supporting a charity and sat next to a doctor who was in intern at County USC when I got hurt. It's been a long time, but I swear I remember him checking me in a huge evaluation room. How is this relevant to creating an iPhone app? Well, back then I was not focused. I spent a week in County Hospital in agony, Demerol every 3 hours for 7 days. I had been drawing since 5, I decided to sketch to keep my sanity. During that time I decided to make art my career. So what lesson did I learn from blowing out my knee?

Be yourself.

I had a teammate named Mike that was very quick. He could bob and weave and stop on a dime. I caught a pass and and ran for the sideline to turn the corner. I remember thinking, "Do Mike's move". I slammed on the breaks and threw a fake. I felt a level of pain that is hard to describe. Kind of like a planet landed on my knee. I got hurt because I was mimicking someone else. Create your own truth using the gifts God gave you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike!

    Like your blogs and perspectives. Challenges yield growth evidently. That's what I read here and what I'm banking on for myself. Keep writing and wondering.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    Thanks for reading my rant. I am keeping my ear out for anyone needing your skills. Today I will attend a Mobile leadership conference. You never know who you will meet.

    ReplyDelete